Wednesday 1 June 2011

I'm with Jack: can't we all be brothers?

Last couple of nights, as it happens, I was on the mainland, and first thing in the morning I've been scurrying to the postbox at the end of the lane like a deranged schoolboy. I'm expecting the results of my latest proofreading assignment any day, and I've been feeling, I must admit, a little trepidatious. The trouble is, in proofreading there are not that many grey areas - you've either handled a particular problem the right way or the wrong way. It's always been a favourite saying of my mother's, in the face of honest endeavour but not necessarily success, that if you didn't hit it, you staggered it: but that is one comment I know with certainty I will not find written in the margins.

I'm with Jack Handey on the need to take a view in these things. For 'math', read 'proofreading':-

'Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions", and if you got a different impression, so what, can't we all be brothers?'
blog comments powered by Disqus