Wednesday 16 March 2011

Helen's Bay Probus Group

I gave a talk this morning to Helen's Bay Probus Club - as congenial and welcoming a gathering as you can imagine - and I started by saying that the invitation was particularly special to me because my father was born in Helen's Bay, on the shores of Belfast Lough, though I was ashamed to say I didn't exactly know where. 'Number such and such, X Street,' said someone from the back, and I promised that I would search it out afterwards. I did, and although the numbering leaves things inconclusive, I found a likely candidate. There was no-one at home, otherwise I would have knocked on the front door, but I loitered for some time, no doubt causing curtains to twitch in the neighbourhood, and resolved to return. Now, I really want to know!
blog comments powered by Disqus