Wednesday 23 February 2011

Malachi O'Doherty: Belfast - Benghazi telephone conversations

Malachi O'Doherty, fearless journalist, author, broadcaster and now Writer in Residence at Queens University, Belfast, has been posting some recordings on his blogs in the last few days, which I must say I have found rivetting. In his own words:

'On Saturday night, Feb 19, I got a Facebook message from a writer friend offering me the phone number of an activist in Benghazi who was witness to the protests and the progress of the revolution there. I phoned the guy myself and over the following nights recorded interviews with him about developments...'

The recorded conversations provide the kind of immediate and highly personal insight into events in Lybia as they unfold day-to-day, which you don't get by listening to the news. I hope his friend stays safe, and that Malachi keeps posting the conversations.

Here are the links:

Blogging Benghazi from a bedroom in Belfast
Waiting for war in Benghazi
blog comments powered by Disqus