Monday 15 November 2010

Sandwich Tern, Strangford Lough. In November..


I snatched this photograph earlier today on my mobile phone, and you're going to have to take my word for it: it's a Sandwich Tern, and not only have I never seen one on Ringhaddy Sound, it shouldn't even be in the country.

Around five hundred Sandwich Terns breed in Strangford Lough, but come September they migrate to southern Europe or North Africa; so why this single adult should still be here is a mystery. Perhaps it's disoriented for some reason. Certainly, it won't have anything to do with injury, weakness or age - the migratory instinct is so strong it would make the journey, or die trying.

I hope the feedig is good enough to see it through the winter - I don't see why not. It's going to be a long one though. If I get a chance, I will post a better picture.

blog comments powered by Disqus